Tuesday, June 15, 2010

At last, starting on this piece....

These photos are out of order - second, first, third sessions. This is an underpainting that I've had in my studio for several years. I finally decided it was time to actually do something with it so yesterday I started blocking in the light areas of the window, shirt and book and then worked on the face and skin. I'm debating whether to paint it in a red/green or an orange/blue range. Needs more contrast in the skin values but as usual, I'm trying to "sneak" up on it with mid values until I'm more confident of the drawing.

Left side of the face (as I'm looking at it) is off and nose is too straight right now. But I'm excited to finally be working a figurative painting.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Gay,

It is looking great. Love to see your process. I think sneaking up on it is just right.

Jane Seavers said...

I love her hands and bracelet and the flow of her skirt. Great start!