Monday, February 8, 2010

View from the Front Porch




This is an 1 1/2 hour study. As soon as I photograph it I can see areas I should change - the clouds started out with more color. I think as I mixed the purples and yellows I ended up with a little more grey than I intended. I also think the second layer of trees could use some more definition and I'm considering taking out the light spot poking through between the mountains and the sky. When I hold my finger over it, I think I like it better since it keeps the darks in the middle of the painting all together. Hmmm.... this snow has really got me going lately. I think it's because it simplifies the shapes and makes it easier for me to see patterns.
I just added the second photo.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Beautiful. I think you were right to take out the bright spot in the back. And maybe the clouds could be a little brighter overall but the feeling is magical.

Jane Seavers said...

I agree with Elizabeth, it is magical in the second rendering. Way to go, Gay!